Monday, July 12, 2010

Insurance Quotes

I recently got a renewal from Axa to the tune of €3000, and decided it was time to start shopping around. I should point out that Axa incorrectly removed my no claim's bonus, and it has been reinstated since, but here's the result of my search nonetheless.

I'm a 22 year old male, living on the northside of Dublin, with 3 years of a full licence without any claims. I drive a 1.4L 2006 Mazda 3, which has a value around the €7000 mark. In all cases, I chose the default excess, and added windscreen cover if it wasn't already included. I'm also adding my mother onto the insurance, and neither of us have any penalty points.

I should be clear that these insurers offer differing benefits, and as such cannot be compared like for like, unless you're looking for the cheapest comprehensive insurance with windscreen cover, as I am. Some include breakdown assist, contents cover, fire brigade charges and any number of other benefits. This is strictly a comparison (with default excess values) for my requirements.

  • NoNonsense: €768
  • Allianz: €842
  • Axa: €880 (and the ability to drive other's cars third-party)
  • 123.ie: €1091
  • Quinn: €1146
  • FBD: €1151
  • Insure.ie: €1186
  • Bestquote: €1195
  • Hibernian: €1234
  • Zurich: €1556
  • Tesco: €1631 (€1281 for the basic package without windscreen cover, but not available as an individual add-on)
And I'm still shopping around. Huge improvement on a 3k premium though!

7 comments:

  1. Good work. More people shoull post quote details. Insurance is very high. FBD usually give me an ok quote, but I go for third party only with an excess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm surprised Quinn was so high. They were the second cheapest quote for me and they let me drive other people's cars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's some good research there, car insurance is ridiculously expensive here.

    Tried to add my brother as named driver on my own car (he's a provisional 19yr old) and it'd cost me €686 just to add him for 3 months (with 123.ie). That's nearly as much as I paid for the year. Am 27 yr old male, 3 yrs no claims bonus, driving a 2000, 1L Micra!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you priced 3rd party fire & theft to see if the prices are much different? AA were the cheapest for me last time I shopped around (they act as a broker and seem to get better prices than when I rang direct).

    ReplyDelete
  5. i got crazy quotes from the different insurers when i looked for them online and over the phone, but ended up saving myself a fortune by calling in to the office (Aviva, in the end). mind you, i'm an almost 30 year old oulwan with a squeaky clean record, so the odds are in my favour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do this every year and usually end up with no nonsense. Because the premiums are so much higher for men, I put myself as primary driver on both cars and do open drive which works out much cheaper than having himself as a named driver or God forbid primary driver. Might be worth looking at making your mother primary driver, could save a bit more?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It doesn't get easier with age, i am 36 and i got a renewal quote for €420 but when i rang up the broker they gave me a quote for €356 as a new client! Explained to them i was exiting and they were backtracking to get out of the hole they dug. The quote was from Hibernian so i called them direct and they quoted me €466!

    ReplyDelete